All over the world Limes are widely used in making beverages and cosmetic products. However some people are ignorant of the invaluable benefits of Lime. I’ve heard people say that lime prevents ladies from conceiving, that is just an unhealthy myth. Today I’m going to share some skincare benefits of Lime that work (I am a living testament).
If your favourite spa will be kind enough to reveal their beauty secret ingredients to you, I’m sure Lime will definitely make that list.
So here are some skincare benefits of Lime;
1. Treats dark spots: Lime is a natural harmless bleaching agent thanks to its huge reservoir of Vitamin C. To lighten dark spots, apply Lime juice to affected areas with cotton ball and leave for 20-30 minutes. It’s advisable to try this treatment in the evening or when you’re not exposed to sunlight. This remedy can make your skin sensitive to sunlight, but if you have to do this in the morning before going out, please apply sunscreen and wear protective covers like a nice hat and a pair of sunglasses. If your skin is too sensitive to Lime juice, please dilute it with water half the amount of the juice.
2. Lime for a glowing skin: To use Lime as a glowing skin agent, all you need do is squeeze fresh Lime juice into a glass of lukewarm water mix with some honey and drink this regularly every morning. This is one of my beauty secrets and it works!
3. Removal of dead skin cells: The presence of citric acid in Lime acts as an exfoliating agent which gets rid of dead skin cells. To use Lime for this purpose, scrub your face with a cotton ball soaked with freshly squeezed Lime in the evening after your bath. You can also dilute it with water half the amount of the juice if it’s too acidic for your skin type.
4. Treats open pores: Lime oil contains astringent properties and can be used to tighten pores and reduce oil production which results in a flawless and brighter complexion. Extracting lime oil on your own could be futile, but Lime oil is available for purchase, check your favourite online store.
5. Skin Rejuvenation: Lime helps rejuvenate your skin and protects it from infection, thanks to its antioxidant, antibiotic and disinfectant properties. To reduce sweat and body odour, simply mix some Lime juice in your bath water and you’re sure to experience a rejuvenating experience.
6. Lime juice for acne and blemishes: It’s not news that acne and pimple are common problems for people with oily skin (Ifu inclusive). To combat these problems, make a Lime and honey paste and use it as a facial every week. While honey possesses antibacterial properties that prevents the growth of bacteria, the acidic nature of Lime juice controls excess oil, fights pimples and prevent new ones from popping up. This paste will gradually cause acne scars to fade.
7. Anti-ageing properties: Scrubbing your face with Lime peel or applying facials containing lime properties can immensely reduce hyper-pigmentation caused by excess melanin production no thanks to ageing and over-exposure to sunlight.
8. Lime juice against dark underarms: Lime juice can significantly reduce dark underarms. For this purpose, scrub your underarms with cotton ball soaked in Lime. You can expect results after 2 or 3 applications. Please do not use this remedy immediately after waxing or shaving, a day after is advisable.
These are some skin benefits of Lime that work. I say this because Lime plays a major role in my beauty regimen. Few years ago, I had a terrible acne attack that slightly stole my confidence, after several failed medications, a close friend suggested Lime remedy and it worked perfectly. I started seeing visible changes after the first application.
PS: If you’re not sure about the effect of Lime on your skin, please don’t hesitate to speak to your beautician or a dermatologist. If Lime juice is too acidic for you skin, please dilute with water before application or discontinue use.
Have you tried any Lime application or will you be trying any? Please leave your comments and suggestions below.